My last library haul was ginormous, by my standards, but I never posted it! Here it is in all its glory.
I’ve been so hesitant in the past to take out more than 3 (maybe 4) books at a time because I didn’t think I could possibly make it through any more. My neighborhood library in Arlington has a 3-week loan period (versus my Houston library’s 2-week period) and I took advantage of that. I’ve made it more than halfway through the stack (already read Sapphire Blue, Mr. Penumbra’s, and The Sun Also Rises; currently reading Stardust) and still have about 8 days left. A written list of the books:
- Stardust by Neil Gaiman
- Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes
- The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
- Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier
Just a small one for the past couple of weeks, with two out of three of the books being from the library! Being on a budget really really stinks….for more reasons than just the lack of book buying, too.
- The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. I’ve already read this one and I have to admit that the ending is a perfect one for the series!
- Dune by Frank Herbert. I can’t stop craving all the science-fiction lately.
- Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. I’ve been tearing through this one. Just started reading it yesterday and I’m already at the 85% mark, according to Goodreads! Will probably finish this one too before heading out for the night.
Oh guys. Oh man. I have a whole list of books to take out the library as well as an accrual of both Kindle books and physical books lying around. But as most of the time, I’m open for recommendations! Are there any books you think I should read, like, NOW? Let me know! (: And happy Friday!
Here is me, getting used to DC enough to be successful on all my adventures out of the house, bookish and otherwise! This is my small assortment of books I’ve gathered in the past couple weeks thanks to a Barnes & Noble gift card I acquired through Swagbucks and our neighborhood library.
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne [bought at B&N with gift card]
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh [bought from BN.com with gift card]
- Lion Heart (Scarlet #3) by A. C. Gaughen [bought from BN.com with gift card]
- The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2) by Michelle Hodkin [acquired through local library]
- Burning Kingdoms (Internment Chronicles #2) by Lauren DeStefano [acquired through local library]
Of this selection, I’ve already read the two from the library (and I have already requested The Retribution of Mara Dyer) and am currently working my way through Lion Heart. I’m really in the mood for some good sci-fi so I think 20,000 Leagues may be up next!
I felt like the luckiest girl in the world when I came back from DC to find a box full of ARCs from my friend who is at HMH right now. I can’t even…. My heart is still doing somersaults! A MASSIVE thank-you to my friend and all of HMH! And I also hauled home 3 books I bought in DC. Here are the goods.
- Undertow by Michael Buckley (finished this Wednesday and I highly recommend!) [ARC]
- You and Me and Him by Kris Dinnison [ARC]
- Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell [ARC]
- Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman [ARC]
- An Inheritance of Ashes by Leah Bobet [ARC]
- The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth Durst [ARC]
- Need by Joelle Charbonneau [ARC]
- Forbidden by Eve Bunting [ARC]
- This Raging Light by Estelle Laure [ARC]
- No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin [bargain find at the Library of Congress store]
- Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon [bought at Politics and Prose]
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
- Burial Rites by Hannah Kent [bargain find at Politics and Prose]
Those set in a slightly larger typeface are the ones I am most highly anticipating of the bunch! But each and every one will get their due love in time.
Have you guys read any of these yet? Give a shout-out if there’s one you think I absolutely must read immediately!
** All ARC book cover and spine images courtesy of HMH.**
I’ve slowly been accumulating books since my last haul post for my birthday at the end of February (wow, it’s really been that long?!). Three of these are actually from a second birthday celebration with my grandma that happened after that last haul post. I am seriously building my selection!
- Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. All too in love with this cover (see photos below) to pass up this deal on BookOutlet.
- Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick. A deal along with Unspoken. Never read any Sedgwick before so this is a small leap, but it sounds fascinating.
- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Birthday gift! Intrigued by the formatting… (see photos below)
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. Birthday gift! Lots of buzz about this one.
- The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski. A 2015 sequel I NEED to read!
- The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey. Excited about this one too, though I’ve somewhat lowered my expectations as I hear it kind of suffers middle book syndrome?
- Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman. Birthday gift! I want to explore Neil Gaiman so much more. I have had polar opposite experiences with him — HATED American Gods but LOVED with all my heart The Ocean at the End of the Lane. And I love his Doctor Who episodes!
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. Weird!
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. More weird!
Get ready for some awesome, y’all, because this past Wednesday was my birthday. These beauties were presents:
The set was a last minute “OH MY GOODNESS I KNOW WHAT I WANT” type of thing because up until the week before my birthday, I hadn’t thought of anything I could put on a list. I’m one of those people who wants the best deal they can find (especially when it comes to books) and I feel like I can get much better deals if I buy things for myself. ANYWAY. This set was a total yes. And it’s so beautiful! The redesigns have definitely grown on me because I love how we can see some great scenery from the books. AND the spines make Hogwarts!
Then, there were these:
Red Queen and Dove Arising were surprises — thanks, mom! She went to Blue Willow Bookshop wanting to get me little things to wrap. Great surprises! Nowhere But Home and Me Before You were BookOutlet purchases about a week and half, maybe two weeks ago that just arrived Tuesday. A Darker Shade of Magic was a purchase while I was out shopping on birthday Wednesday! Ms Victoria Schwab is one of my favorites — how could I not??
This week, I *kind of* celebrated my one month with no book buying by…buying books. However, two of these four were bargain book purchases at Half Price Books — I sold a box of books I didn’t care for so I used money from that for Gilt and I Capture the Castle. AND I got a 20% off a purchase coupon, so really those two were a super bargain. Fairest and The Mime Order were new releases this week — YES!! I’m so excited to work my way to them. Behold: my haul! (Sorry it’s weirdly focused…I couldn’t tell until it was already on my computer.)
Top to bottom: Gilt (Katherine Longshore), I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith), Fairest (Marissa Meyer), The Mime Order (Samantha Shannon).